The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Monday, July 5, 2010

That strange dream

The GPS route has been programmed. The swaggerwagon has been fueled and packed. It is a beautiful clear 85* summer morning. Four is driving. She is a good driver. I want her driving because she broke up with her boyfriend last night - he broke up with her - on the 4th of July. The timing could have been better ... I don't want fireworks to make her cry. We'll see. She is a strong capable fun affectionate young woman. So she is driving. That'll give her something fun to think about.

Last night I had a strange dream. I experienced the dream from the perspective of viewing through my eyes. I was a passenger in an old, I'd guess 1960 model (Chevy)pickup truck. The truck had an immaculately well tended, organized, grey upholstered, spacious cab. The gear shift was up on the steering column which doesn't seem right for that year but ( maybe I'll check that detail for accuracy, that's how it was in the dream) and the chrome gleamed. I liked that there was no dust or smudges anywhere. I'm glad my dreams are tidy ... Lol. The seat was deeper then I'm used to and bench style. I could feel those old-fashioned web style springs flex as I shifted positions. It was noticeable, but not uncomfortably so - it felt like quality. The truck looked good, felt good, it even smelled good. I was looking out the windows, enjoying the scenery and having a pleasant companionable conversation with the driver.

Suddenly, unexpectedly, the driver hit the breaks, put the truck in park, and hurled himself out leaving the ignition engaged. I was thrown forward and towards the left (that's when I noticed the gearshift) sliding across the bench and grazing my left arm along something - maybe the dash- but catching myself before any serious harm. I was confused and I slide over towards the open door to see what was going on with the driver. He was laying face down on the asphalt stunned, but scrambling first to his knees then up, and then stumbling bloodied away. I tried to get out too. It was as though there was an invisible barrier keeping me inside the truck. When the driver jumped out some of his stuff fell out with him. I can't remember specifically what that stuff was, but a couple of people ran over to help him up. He angrily pushed them away saying leave me alone and they did. They picked up his stuff and gave it to me (I was surprised that they could pass things through the invisible barrier so I tried again to exit the truck ... I wanted to follow the driver). I reorganized his stuff, placing one item on the dashboard and the rest in a neat stack between my spot and the now vacant driver's spot. I wondered what I was supposed to do. I was still very confused, but I realized that I wasn't supposed to do anything more than just sit there. And maybe relax. It wasn't my truck (but it was my favorite color).

I wrote this yesterday while we traveled. As I began the drive home, my brother called and I broke my no driving with while talking rule. I was listening to Phil Collins with my iPod app and you can listen and talk through those little ear buds ... see I feel guilty! ... in my defense, it was a hands free conversation. I knew he would know just off the top of his head about old Chevy trucks. I told him about this dream. He said, "Baby, you gotta quit riding around with people who won't stay on task!" Pretty funny. I asked him about the gear shift and he told me that is called three on the tree. He said I need to drive farther North up in to red-neck truck heaven and buy one of these to rebuild. How much would that cost i wondered, and he told me that it would cost as much as I was willing to spend, but I finally wheedled him down to somewhere between 10 and 20,000. He talked engines ... he likes the 1970's engines for this project, but I said I wasn't thinking of a hot rod. He said the in line V6 would be dependable. I said I could probably prep the body, but would want to send out for the paint job. He said the color I like is one of the original colors. I can upholster thanks to my night classes - not looking forward to refinishing the springs but they're worth it. ...Yes, AC doable... We talked back and forth about that for the 30 minutes it took me to drive to B'ham for a date with my buddygirl. When I parked I looked up and said - "Tommy, you're not going to believe this but I think I'm looking at a 1960 Chevy pickup with a spray can paint job ... stay with me for a sec, I'm going to walk over there and ask, the guy is in the truck." Yep. That's what it was and the kid was only to pleased to let me peek inside (to check out the depth of the seat. I told my brother that the kid started wagging his tail and acting like he was gonna haftah get out and give me the walk around as soon as I said "Cool truck..." on the walk up.

My brother said he'd come down to the beach and help me put this project together. This falls in to the something I would really enjoy doing category.


Pictures taken of nice restoration  ... this is a slightly older truck.  Super cool though.  I like it.

No comments: